Fitting Words
Thursday, November 23, 2006
 

The Esplanade (reprise)

or How to Properly Enounce the Names of Singapore Econs... er, Icons

I would like some lemonade
Down beside the Esplanade.
Finding it should not be hard
When I'm at the Esplanade.

Perhaps I'll see a gay parade
Or children playing at charades
- I say, 'The immortal Bard'
Is my favourite charade.

But what's this discovery I've made?
Today I've found 'The Esplanade'
Does not rhyme with 'The Old Guard'
- Or does it, does The Esplanade?

Ah, but forget the Es', for now I've, O,
Been to Vivo
City, which rhymes, I'm
Led to believe,
With 'alive' and not 'leave'. Oh
Dear.
- Unless I'm deceived
And it rhymes with precocity,
Does Vivocity

And then there's Singapore's Parliament House
Where Government men and (few) women douse
The flames of Democracy
In un-adulterated Hypocrisy

No crisis of pronunciation here
No way, no FEER.
Just remember to lament
There is no I in this parliament.

Now, for a curly 'un,
Take the venerable Merlion
Its sits atop Sentosa Island
Not to mention the Marina Merlion

One, a powerful laser pointer
For the Powers that Be;
The other pours water
On the meritocra sea

But say it how you will
Keep your nose to the mill
Stone throwers will
Be housed in glass till
They, with broken will
Let their voices be still
And are pronounced ill.

This land was your land,
This land was my land,
From the Singapore harbour
To the Bukit Timah highland,
From the East Coast Park land
To the HDB Heartland,
Now this land is owned by Lee and Lee
This land disowned by you and me
'Cos this land is owned by Lee and Lee...
top
 
|
, maybe

Insulting scansion, euphony, rhyme and meter,
Beware the words of the poetaster.
If these words do not deter,
Then try rhyming with aster astir.
And should you stay the course, become a reader,
Then, blog help you, I am your master.

- "My words fly up, my thoughts remain below:
Words without thoughts never to heaven go."

ARCHIVES
April 2004 / May 2004 / June 2004 / July 2004 / August 2004 / September 2004 / October 2004 / November 2004 / July 2005 / May 2006 / November 2006 / March 2009 /


INDEX
I Am the Very Model of a Model Singaporean
The Esplanade (reprise)
PAy Per View (Reprise 05/2006)
Shadow Cats
A Cheetah Escaped Today
Untitled/Epigram
Elephants Aphasia
Acrostic: A heart in 3 beats
For the rest of my life
An Iambic Tetrameter
Leaving The Fold
Fitting Words
I read a poem
Wanda Lust
Eternal Verities
On Not Having A Clue
Four Iambs and a Trimeter
We Walked On
Poetic Usage
Bus Ride
Paper View
Doing it
A Nonsense
The Waiting Room
Nocturne
Elephantiasis
Rain
My desk and what sonnet
On Learning The True Value Of Creativity
Coffea Arabica, or The Human Bean
Sing A Poor Song
The Esplanade
Poem #1

© Michael Graetz

Powered by Blogger Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com